Monday, October 15, 2007

Have a Nice Day a.k.a. Hoodilyhoodydoo

Today as I was running around, I came across a wide spectrum of folks that greeted (or didn't greet) me or who responded (or didn't respond) to my greeting. It's interesting TO ME because I think it's silly to say something that you don't really mean. When I say "mean" I am talking about standing behind your words 90-100%. I want honesty, people! For example, when checkout girl #1 says, "Have a nice day," to me as she looks away and starts to ring up the customer behind me, I find it difficult to believe that she falls anywhere near the aforementioned range. I am guessing that she doesn't give half a buttock whether or not I have a nice day or not - she just has to say it. For me, personally, it's insulting. I would rather she didn't. Now checkout girl #2 says, "Have a nice day," while looking at me and with a smile on her face. And you know what? I think she wouldn't mind at all if I did actually have one. She might not care as much as I would like her to care, but she is making an effort. At least she has a percentage.

This has become an issue on my new jogging trail, as well. There are several people I come across on this trail, daily (Yes, that's right, people, I exercise every day - do you? Well, why don't you get off your fat ass and quit your job like I did then? Jeesh.). It's generally polite to say something when you pass someone on a trail, right? You acknowledge that you aren't the only person on the face of the earth, regardless of how self-centered you may actually be. You also have this bond with strangers in that you are both outside in this beautiful place. It's almost celebratory to greet someone under these circumstances. And I don't care if it's, "Hoodilyhoodyhoo," or "I like Pepsi." Personally, I just stick with with, "Hi". It's quick and to the point. But, today, as I was running, I passed a woman and I said, well, you know what I said, and she curtly pushed out a "Hi" of her own. It was clear, however, that she only said it because I said it, and it was obvious by her down turned lips that she didn't have her heart in it. So, what a dilemma. I mean, if she hadn't said, "Hi" then I would have felt totally slighted for a moment. I would have bounced back eventually, but I would have felt a trifle sad for a bit. But, her, "Hi" was only perfunctory. She was NOT behind her, "Hi". So, which is worse? The mostly false greeting with about 3.4 % sincerity behind it or the more honest absence of a greeting altogether? I just don't know.

Sometimes when I am running, people don't say hello to me. It really doesn't bother me. I just figure that they probably don't speak English, because only a small percentage of people around here do (even though they are American). Or, I think, maybe they're deaf and can't hear me when I say, "I like Pepsi." Most of the time, I am convinced that they are either sad, angry, or just hate my guts.

Then there's the people that pass me with such glee and excitement that they greet me with their own personal monologue. Their faces are all lit up with such affirming life energy that I have to move away from them for fear they will explode all over my new sneakers. But let me tell you something about these creatures. They make me feel goooood. They make me feel riiiight. They make me feel loooooved. And at the same time, they make me feel inferiooooor because by the time my high has worn off, I am berating myself for not being more...like them. Why aren't I more cheerful? Why don't I have a halo, damn it? I only dropped acid like four or five times in my life. Do I need to be punished one more day? I think not. I want my damn halo!

So, what's the conclusion? No, really, what's the conclusion? I am still working on this, myself. In fact, I am probably talking to myself about it right now, aren't I? Oh, the life of a lonely blogger.

Well, hoodilyhoodydoo to you, too.

Ima D. Oderint

No comments: