Saturday, September 8, 2007

Running Away

I thinks it's time to go. People are starting to talk to me around the neighborhood. At first, when I would go for my run, everyone would just ignore me - I was, after all, exercising. Then, they started to stare - not because exercising was foreign to them; they'd seen it on TV before - but because I was becoming a regular sight and they thought they should know me. Although they didn't know whence I came, it was obvious that I wasn't going away, so they began to wave. Now they wave to me from their front porches, their sit down lawnmowers, and their automobiles. As part of what appeared to be a natural progression, they added the greeting. Even children say "hello" to me as I pass by. The age range of official greeters now spans from about age seven to 80-something. Now this is all fine and good. Really. It is. But, unfortunately, they have recently begun to overstep their boundaries and moved beyond greetings to actually conversing with me. Their curiosity has gotten the best of them, I'm afraid. And so, the questions have started -some quite innocent, others more probing. How much do you run? Where do you live? What's your name? What do you think about gun control? While I understand that this is all part of my initiation into the neighborhood and a very sensible part of the neighborhood watch program, I don't want to talk to them. As far as I am concerned, they already know way too much and it's time to move on.

In order to really move on with my life, however, I thought it important to address a little known emotion called ANGER. I don't want anger to hurt me, my uti, or those I love, so I bought a book called The Anger Diet. I started reading it this morning, and I am sorry to say that it doesn't offer one recipe for maintaining anger. It has, instead, made me feel quite guilty about calling Wal*Mart shoppers "mutants", saying that Upstate men look pregnant, and just about everything else I have written on this blog so far. Jeesh. So, now I have to run out and find a book called The Guilt Diet. Like I am made of money, people. Besides, isn't it everything in moderation? What is it that you are supposed to have each day to keep the doctor away? Isn't it an angry outburst? I still have a lot to read yet, so, hopefully, the answer will be forthcoming. Or maybe I can ask Deepak about this tomorrow night when I follow him into the men's bathroom.

Until then, I will continue to be imperfectly and honestly a little angry.

Always thinking of you,

Ima E. Resistible

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Despite breaking netiquette by asking for personal details in a public forrum, TMWMMM isn't such a wierd egg after all. No matter how hard you try not to be, you'll always part of some community. At least your neighbors are putting a hunman face on their inquires.